Monday, January 30, 2006

CH-CH-CH-CHANGES

It's been months since my last blog...

Last Tuesday I found out that my company, THE WB, is now going to be merging with the illustrious network UPN, which I learned does not stand for "The Urban People's Network." The new name for now is the CW, which does have a way of just rolling of the tongue, doesn't it?

From a business perspective, this new joint venture makes sense. They are taking 2 networks that aren't doing well at all, and trying to form one big happy family TV network that targets the young demographic like the WB. But rather than the merger happening in a very "Brady Bunch" like fashion, with one fellow coming together with his boys (THE WB employees) and one lady bringing her girls (the folks of UPN),and this group of boys and girls must somehow form a family, this merger will happen more like this: Imagine if Mike and Carol Brady never got together and actually Carol stayed a single mom, and she only got to pick her favorite kids to come with her...

What I know is how I feel....and right now, I feel like I've been dumped by my boyfriend, but I am obligated to continue dating him for several months, or until he decides to set me free. It's a feeling of powerlessness, so I strive to find ways to become empowered. But then I realize this man may not be the love of my life, and maybe this breakup is for the best. I mean, I really like my job. I was not wanting to try something different, but I do believe that all things happen for a reason, and for whatever reason, my time at the WB will be coming to a close soon...

The worst part right now is that I have no idea when my last dance with the frog will be. Maybe next week? Maybe May? Maybe not until August...which is when my contract expires...ugh...but not many industries do people who fear getting laid off think "Hmm....maybe when my contract is bought out, I'll be able to take that much needed trip to Costa Rica..." So maybe, in fact I am luckier than most (potential) lay-off-ees.

So that's where I am right now...trying to make sense of what I want to do next, and trying to find out when I am going to know what my fate is for the CW. If I were a betting woman, I'd be safest not to assume I'd join the new company. Carol Brady is no friend of mine, and of course, she's going to want to keep her people.

Luckily, I have time to figure it out.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Yay! I'm so glad you wrote again. Hang in there, everything does happen for a reason so I'm sure this will make sense for you at some point. Good luck with it all!