Sunday, January 09, 2011

So Long, Dear...

Today is January 9th. It's the day after my birthday, the day after Elvis' birthday, a Sunday, and also the day that my husband left for Commissioned Officer Training (C.O.T.) in Montgomery, Alabama. This morning I woke up around 5:00 am to drive him to LAX so he could begin his journey to Alabama. He'll be gone for 5 weeks in total for this first round of training. I, of course, write this with mixed emotions. I am excited for him and all the new adventures that await him, but also sad for me and Jaq that we'll be without him. Still, with the wonders of modern technology (cell phones, Skype, email, etc.) we should be able to keep in close contact and I will relish all of our interactions. And one can only hope that the old adage about "absence and the heart growing fonder" proves to be true.
His departure for C.O.T. brings not only a big change for our family, but also coincidentally marks the beginning of a big change for me as I take some time off work. Most of you reading this probably know what I do. I am a creative executive for a cable television network. It's actually a pretty great job; sometimes I marvel at the fact that people get paid to do what I do. I mean, the hours are long and there is a lot of pressure, but the basic job functions I perform are: reading scripts, watching television, taking meetings with writers and producers, and then talking to those writers and producers (sometimes agents, too) about those scripts or shows that I've read or watched. We also approve actors for casting, and basically oversee all elements of TV production for shows on our air. I've been in the business for almost 10 years now, and it's one of the best jobs that I've had. I work with a lot of creative, talented people and deal with a lot of celebrities, pseudo celebrities, difficult personalities, and mega-egos, but that all comes with the job. I actually think I do well dealing with eccentric personalities, and at the very least I have some good stories to tell at the end of the day and can appreciate my relatively "normal" life.
But now, for the next few weeks, there is only one ego and eccentric personality that I care about, and it's that of my 14-month-old son. In one day, I've basically gone from TV executive in a fancy Century City office building, to stay-at-home mom and military wife. (This almost sounds like the makings of a TV show itself.)
So, while my big man is away, I am ready to embrace this adventure and make up for some lost time with my little man. Of course I am sad that I won't have my husband around, but I am comforted at least in knowing that his absence is giving me the opportunity to have some quality time with my little guy, and heck, check out the other half-live...all you stay-at-home moms watch out, because I am going to get a little taste of what this is all about...I know it too is hard work, but I am ready...

No comments: