Sunday, January 08, 2012

Leopard Lady - Day 1


(originally drafted 1/8/12)

Today is my 33rd birthday and I feel compelled to challenge myself to do something crazy. No, I am not going to jump out of a plane or get a tattoo or anything really bold like that. But I thought it would be fun for the next 33 days to try to work some type of animal-print accessory into my wardrobe each day, whether it's underwear, a hair clip, or a sweater, etc., I am going to force myself to get in touch with my inner "animal" each day.

The thought occurred to me while my husband and I were having a much-needed date night last night for my birthday. I was so excited to be able to fully focus on him and engage in some adult conversation, since most of our days and nights are spent talking about our newborn and 2 year old. I was also excited to put on a non-nursing top and high heels. The heels I chose were leopard calf hair high heel. The rest of my outfit was understated - black skinny jeans, a white silk top and a red coat. But the shoes were hot. I don't think Kiko noticed them, but I didn't care. I noticed and they made me feel powerful. This morning we woke up at my parents' house, and I dressed in a leopard print sweater I've had for years. Coincidentally, I'd packed 2 leopard print items for the weekend without putting much thought into it and I thought about how the sweater made me feel... Since becoming a mom, like most moms and other busy women alike, I am terrible about making time for myself. My days and nights are spent changing diapers and practicing the ABCs, breastfeeding and racing Lightning McQueen, kissing my kids' boo boos instead of my husband. It's hard not to loose track of the person you were pre-kids, but with a little effort and a lot of animal print, I think I can remind myself daily that I am a lot of other things besides some one's mom...for some reason that sweater made me feel cute, care-free, stylish and a little silly, words I would not typically use to describe my "mom" wardrobe.

So here's my challenge for myself: Wear something animal print each day for the next 33 days...as a reminder to be fearless and strong everyday, and also not to take myself too seriously. Please note, I am not Snooki and I definitely won't do Jersey Shore or "Married to the Mob" Michelle Pfeifer-type leopard, but I think I have enough "classy" animal print accessories to get me through at least a week without repeating my attire. I am woman, here me ROAR......
;)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: